Tallinn is so much more than I expected. I had actually never even heard of the place until a few years ago! The capital city of Estonia and perfect for a weekend break, with lots to see and lovely places to eat.
Tallinn old town is beautiful, so much amazing architecture to marvel at and lots of lovely cafes/bars/restaurants to stop by at.
I flew with Ryanair and the good news is that after a short flight and arriving at Tallinn’s only airport the centre is literally 15 mins in a taxi (roughly 10euros).
I stayed at Tallinn City Apartments Old Town Suites which was just wonderful. The apartment was modern, high spec, clean and right in the middle of everything. HIGHLY recommended.
Top things to see and do in Tallinn
- Wander around the old town with no agenda
- Visit the Kohtuotsa viewing platform for fab views across the city
- Visit Viru Gates for a photo opportunity
- Go to the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (inside and out)
- Tallinn town hall in the centre of the old town (can’t miss it)
- St Olaf’s Church (the one with the huge spire)
- Visit Toompea Castle
- KGB prison cells (In the past Estonia was under soviet oppression. This is all over now but you can visit the cells where enemies were interrogated)
- Visit The Danish King’s Garden
- Multiple museums (far too many to mention here!)
We visited a few great cafes and restaurants all listed below. Every time I ordered a cappuccino in Tallinn it came with a heart on top (very cute). The Old Town of Tallinn is bursting with amazing places to eat and drink. Everything we had be it food or drinks was reasonably priced.
- Caffeine for breakfast/coffee
- Maiasmokk Cafe for coffee/cake
- La Prima pizza for great pizza
- NOK NOK for Thai food
Market Square at night View from the
- Kohtuotsa viewing platform
Tallinn is probably one of the most underrated cities in Europe. You don’t hear a lot of people talking about it or placing it on their list of where they want to go! This is sad but also good as when you visit it is not crawling with tourists!
People should get this added to their list. It’s a really cool place! The Old Town was almost untouched by war and remains perfectly preserved. The city has a surprisingly modern, sophisticated air which I did not expect. Everything is easily accessible on food as most of the main sights are in or around the old town. Base yourself here and you will have a great time.